Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Who was There

Once again it is time to recount some of the items that have been showing up in my Newsletters blog. I went to Winterfest and renewed my membership with the SF Bicycle Coalition. I noticed that most of the participants were interested in seeing who was there.  For instance I did see a couple of prominent academics from the SFSU Geography Department.  I also saw a certain LAB instructor that is well know around SF as well.  However, there were myriad prizes to win at the event and I can say that several people walked away with some good loot.  For instance, I saw Deep, a well-known cycling advocate and philanthropist, taking home a nice bike for a friend as well as renowned bike maker, Gary Fischer made a successful bid for a bike ride with City Supervisor Campos. I wonder who took home all that original artwork from David Byrne?

In terms of recent bike developments, the new Valencia Turn is now in place.  As I have yet to actually check it out I am not yet certain how I like it. Meanwhile, new Bike Lanes are going up all over the place in LA. I have noticed both the SFBC and LACBC are promoting the Climate Ride, a national effort to promote issues in climate change through cycling. I heard a number of people at Winterfest talking about going.

On another front I have several posts about First Thursday. I like to go to these galleries every month and one of my new discoveries is White Walls Gallery at 835 Larkin. While they are attending SCOPE in Miami they will be open a little late this Thursday and I intend to be there. Modern book and Corden Potts are part of the same thing. One post of special note is from Corden Potts, which is having a fundraiser in support of the efforts to recover from Hurricane Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment