Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tried on Hats

I got to the library before 5 and had to wait for my friend to arrive so I went looking for Sci-Fi and was about to look for Literary Criticism when I realized that my friend had texted me from the lobby. We walked White Walls, where it was really quiet because of the SCOPE conference in Miami. They had a photo installation that was meant to showcase the situation in Goma, North Kivu and I was I was generally impressive. The pieces and installation are called “CONGO,” and the artist is Jonathan Darby and the organization he is a part of called AptART. When I go to White Walls it doesn’t take much to visit Shooting Gallery since it is just right next door. This exhibit was called empty room and was done by Adam Caldwell.

My friend and I had a lot to talk about so we barely noticed the time it took to walk down O’Farrell to Mason and over to Union Square. I was really impressed with the Christmas Lights. We went to Goorin and tried on hats before we got to 49 Geary. The door man opened the door for us (so sophisticated) and we took the elevator to the fifth floor.

The first exhibit we visited at the Robert Koch had a large number of images of motels and neon signs from the 1950’s by Steve Fitch. I at first thought that these were an attempt at kitsch by some hipster but after we looked at the pieces more minutely we realized that they were from all over the us and were actually set in context.

We walked up and down the building. I wrote that I don’t remember everything because the floors are so similar and there was so much to look at! The two on the 5th were cool. The Elins Eagles Smith had a Calder piece that I rather liked. Normally they would have more SF oriented pieces.

One of the galleries, the K. Imperial, which I call the diorama gallery, is the smallest in the building and I believe that you really only have to look it to it from the door way. There were pieces that I rather liked by John Wood and Cuong Ta. The ones I liked especially were these spherical pieces.

I picked up a postcard from Modernbook. It has a great photo on the front. The image is actually four walleyed images mosaicked together so that one can see the entirety of a New York intersection. I liked it because it looked like the cover of Paul’s Boutique.

My friend and I wandered out of 49 Geary with a lot to talk about and we didn’t even notice boarding the 30 bus to Columbus. I was thinking all through eating my pizza at Golden Boy that it was nice that the crowds had gone to Miami for the convention. We stopped by Visuvio to see my buddy from way back who now tends bar. He is an artist too. When he saw my postcards he pointed out that it was likely take a lot of energy to take down the exhibit at White Walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment